Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Only Thing Good In Me


     


"You think you're better than me, because you're some 'Christian'?" 

If anyone asking that question could see within me, walk the halls of my heart, I'm almost certain they'd understand the answer. I'd like to tell them they haven't seen failure until they've met me. I'd like to show them they haven't seen broken, until they've known me. The fact is, me being a Christian only makes me aware of how much worse of a sinner I am than you. There is nothing good in me.

It's heartbreaking and laughable all at once, to think that anyone in their right mind could ask that of me.  Me, of all people. Paul thought he was the chief of sinners, but when I look inside myself, see all the times I've sinned against Jesus, my best friend, I think the title should belong to me.

Grace is the reason I sing. It's the only thing that keeps me smiling. Joy comes, not because I am good, but because God is good and He has spread my sins as far as the east is from the west.

I am sinful and depraved, broken and scarred. God extended His grace to me, not because I was lovable, but because He is love. I am not good. Jesus is the only thing good in me.

"For as it is written: 'None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one.'"
 ~Romans 3:10-12

4 comments:

  1. Wow. that's amazing.You have one of the best gifts of writing i have ever seen. And i am so glad that you use it to honor and glorify the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A resounding amen!

    Except, I do believe I trump you in the "chief of sinners" category. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)