Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Logic Of A Wish


Wishes are the dreams that we hope for, all the while knowing it isn't likely for them to come to pass. They are the desires cast upon countless shooting stars, the coins tossed, with eyes clenched shut, into fountains. Wishes are the secrets whispered into dandelion dust and carried into the wind.
The coins splash into still waters and it sounds like progress. The seeds float out of sight and we think they're going somewhere. The stars make a hurried appearance and something stirs inside ourselves, a voice that tells us all things are possible.


I think that we all want something to hold onto, hope when change seems unlikely, but maybe wishes aren't the answer in and of themselves. Maybe we need to take the same faith we give a shooting star and invest that belief into the One who made the stars. He says that all things are possible and all that's left for us to do is ask, believe.

I've never closed my eyes and wished for something great to happen after blowing out candles on a birthday cake. That's just never seemed realistic, no matter what my age. Maybe it was because I wanted to hold onto my pride, not lowering myself to the childhood friend sitting next to me, the one who told me santa clause really did exist, after I informed her otherwise. I suppose there's nothing wrong with being realistic, seeing things as they are, just as long as it doesn't interfere with faith in the things that really matter.

Faith isn't easy, at least not for me. The thought of praying to someone I can't see, but believe in, is hard. The Bible says to have faith like a child, but I wasn't all that trustful as a kid either.

I blow dandelion dust because I like to watch the wind carry it off, not because I think all of my wildest dreams will finally come true. I've scarcely tossed pennies into fountains, but when I did, it was because I liked the way the sun beat down on them and made them glitter like diamonds in an opened jewelry box. As for shooting stars, well, let's face it, seeing them is a rare experience. Who has time for wishes anyway, when taking in that kind of excitement?

Maybe wishes are the things that we long for, the desires that seem to us impossible and maybe faith is the bridge that makes them attainable.

"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you." ~John 15:7

1 comment:

Comments make me happy :)