Friday, November 2, 2012

I Write Things


Freedom is something we all ache for, because ultimately we are all being weighed down or bound by something. Relief is the exhale when we have breathed in the solution, found the key. Keys come in all different shapes and sizes. Some of us have what you might call a collection of keys and out of my personal collection is a pen, a pen and a notebook of blank pages that are reserved for all of my ramblings.

When I write the world makes better sense and I don't understand why.

There have often been days or sleepless nights due to a kind of pain that can hardly be described and when I can't form the words into a verbal prayer, my tears translate into letters, scribbles of my insides and it becomes easier to breathe.

I write and I don't stop until it gets better, because it always gets better, at least for a time.

To me there is a simple sort of pleasure in a notebook full of ink. Those are my words, my feelings, fictional worlds I have created, my insides communicated. I don't know why I do it or if it matters, but I won't stop until I find out.


I write because I never want to forget what its like to feel. I write because it is the easiest way to let it out, to make sense of all of life's perplexities and heartaches, to capture moments into words that will never fade away. I write because the right words never skip off of my tongue and they always land where I think they should on a page. I write because it makes me feel alive. I write because God uses those words to set me free, to open my eyes day after day to all the solutions He maps out for me. He gave me this pen, this key, so that I might understand Him better, so that I might stay awake to hear Him speak, to see Him at work all around me.

I drain ink out of pens and it makes me feel free. What about you?

3 comments:

  1. I find myself writing when I'm upset or confused. It helps a little but I think what I find most helpful is capturing feelings in a bottle. It's always interesting going back looking at how caught up I was about something, or how strongly I thought something. I use my iphone notepad for all my journal. My phone got ruined in the late summer and I lost 15 months of my life. That was upsetting but maybe it was God clearing my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)