Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Have A Voice

 
 They say its the quiet ones you have to watch out for and as you read on you might see there can be some truth to that, but is there really such a thing as...quiet people? The one who does not talk usually observes and with the process of observation comes a world of pondering. Musings that race, skip and even drag out in a slow or dramatic fashion. Noise, soft, but mostly noise; and by noise that does not interpret strictly to something such as banging cymbals into each other senselessly. Sometimes that noise can be music, a song that leaves its mark on every moment, a soundtrack or narration to a world that is aching to be described.


My mind is often a place of organized chaos. Dreams are in that category right over there, memories to the left, and ideas...well, they seem to scatter themselves somewhere in-between, or wherever they choose. That's the thing about inspiration...it has a mind of its own.
In a group conversation, my thoughts are active in participation, but scarcely is the memo passed down to my tongue to get it out. It isn't as though I feel cheated, that I have my own rights and I should say my peace. No, it is a choice, a subconscious decision to listen and learn, smile or even cry. Though, I must admit, there are times when a thought wants to blurt itself out, but is not given proper opportunity. Those are the times that every inch of my mind comes together and cries out a statement that is never heard: "I have a voice. Let me out, please." It is such a faint cry that I barely even hear it and what would the world do with it anyway? Is it even worth verbalizing? Sometimes, perhaps, but for those thoughts forgotten, I might never know.


I seem to have an invisible bank of dimes, built up for every remark that sounds something like this, "You're quiet aren't you?" No, I'd like to respond, but I usually just shrug my shoulders and try to answer that question for myself. Me, quiet? That's hilarious. I have something to say about most things, a response to almost everything, whether it is sure or indecisive. Someone asked me the other day what in the world I was thinking and I laughed. Is it that obvious? Most people can't see it, but there are few who can see past the silence, hear for themselves muffled conversations dripping down from the mind of another. Those are the ones who experience it themselves...this constant madness and silent wonder, a world unseen, an ear-splitting silence that sounds nothing like silence. There might very well be quiet people out there, but I doubt I could ever be categorized amongst them. Could you?

"Be wary of the author. She may put you in a book and kill you." ~Amanda Flynn 




11 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do that. Verbalizing is sometimes my only way of developing a thought. I was having a conversation about this yesterday with a friend. Sometimes I have thought fragments, and not really a complete idea or thought. It feels like a crime to subject those around me to those but at the same time, at least for me, sometimes I need help with the completion or settlement of that idea. I guess it's called being really codependent. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have always thought of those "quiet people" as people who aren't dependent on verbalization to develop coherent thoughts and responses. Those people are lucky.

      Delete
    2. Haha, well I like it when people are always talking. It would be weird if everyone just went around only thinking what was on their mind instead of verbalizing it. There's no right or wrong to this, its just interesting how different personality types work I guess.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

      Delete
    3. I totally agree, Peter! I'll ask questions and then know the answer once I ask it out loud to someone else.

      Delete
  2. Aww, I love you Alina! And I love to hear your thoughts, whether written or verbalized, or whatever. They are beautiful. :)

    And ditto everything Peter said. I kind of envy people who can keep their mouth shut. They don't insert their foot as often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl, love you too! <3
      Haha, well I still have my fair share of "inserting the foot" moments. That usually happens when I've kept it in too long. Like when I've been over-thinking life all the time and not really speaking as much as I contemplate, then it sort of...builds up. And then you'd better hold your ears, because the jaw just starts flapping. Sometimes I'd love to know the art of shutting up and I think balance must be the secret, but I haven't come close to mastering that.

      Delete
  3. Oy, I have to agree. I often say a lot of things I probably shouldn't say and butt into things that I shouldn't be a part of. But if it's something I strongly disagree with or if people are being ignorant about a certain issue, whether it be about stereotypes or cultures or just facts that aren't really facts at all... how could you not butt in to correct it?? And so the jaw flapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Sometimes the jaw flapping is absolutely necessary :)
      Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. What a deep post. "The one who does not talk usually observes and with the process of observation comes a world of pondering" -- how right you are! Oh, and I like that sunflare :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! People who listen more then they speak always seem to have an amazing mysteriousness about them. I definitely don't fall into that category! I never was one to think you the quiet type wither, though :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)