Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't Forget // Keep Your Eyes Open


Most days I've been content to just listen as drops would pound or drip on my window pane, but I knew it was not one of those days. Somewhere between mild rainstorm and intense downpour I knew it was time. I pulled that big old door open and breathed in the clean air. Wind ruffled trees, causing leaves and branches to fall prematurely.

I stood under the dry roof, feeling the wild mist on my skin and reached out my hand. The water was cold and strong, it came down hard, but yet it was delicate, so peaceful. It was like standing at the edge of a pool, dipping toes in the water, contemplating. I'll get wet...what will the nieghbors think?

I wasn't particuarly...how can I say this...happy. It just wasn't one of those, "I feel like singing in the rain," sort of days. Troubles were building up, weighing me down. I prayed for something, anything! Even a quiet whisper would do, if I could just know that there was hope. I just want to feel okay again.

One foot in front of the other. Just jump. That was all it took. I raced myself to the other side of the house and then back again, standing beneath the heavy drippings of the roof. It was like a cold shower that shocked my skin, but I didn't want to complain about it. I laughed. I don't know why, I just did. My clothes were soaked and it...it felt good.




I think I must have forgotten what it felt like. It was like waking up, as if I had been half asleep through the days, looking, but not really seeing, not really feeling, processing.



I don't have anything great or inspirational to pass on to you, but there is something that I need you to hear. You haven't lived until you've let the raindrops stain your skin. Don't forget what that feels like. If you pray for an answer, don't wait too long to listen for it. Sometimes hope comes in little doses. Sometimes joy isn't something you wait for, it's something you work for. Keep your eyes open and stay awake, fully awake.

2 comments:

Comments make me happy :)