Monday, September 17, 2012

Afraid Of Fear


Some words we just don't talk about and if we do venture to discuss them it isn't in a questioning sort of manner. There is an invisible line that just can't be crossed...or can it? That line was drawn by prisoners of fear and once a single soul was held captive, the numbers only increased and the more we heard of it, the more we were convinced, fooled into bondage by the least productive myth of all time.
To be afraid is to be trapped inside a cell with key in hand. You are your own prisoner. This condition is self-inflicted, because you chose to consume the lies that satan fed you.
I know fear. It visits me often and only because it knows that I am a returning customer, weak and susceptible to its techniques. Whether its anxiety attacks that assault the physical, or distrusts of the mind that aren't even available for public discussion. I know fear and fear knows me, but there is a way for us to be strangers.
I've thought about fear in a way that questions its existence, examines the source to find that there is no source. I think on the worst thing that could possibly happen and find that I'd rather endure that one thing I am afraid of than the shaking of hands and shortness of breaths, the thoughts that eat away at my soul. I've come to the all too obvious conclusion that fear isn't necessary, its not productive. The number of verses concerning this subject is astonishing. The answer is within those leather-bound pages of scripture, and it is the only medication that will ever work. When you take a pill you might need food or water to wash it down and keep it there, but when it comes to this medicine, the words of Christ, trust is the only necessary companion for the treatment to take effect.
I am afraid of fear, but a little less than I was yesterday. It hasn't completely disappeared and not because the medication of truth is defective, but because my sinful tendency to distrust the sovereignty of God prevents it from going away completely. I try not to think about fear, but when it does revisit me I feed myself truth and I practice trust. Sometimes though, I am afraid to even think about it. I was afraid of even writing this post, pathetic as that might sound, because it would remind me, but the possibility of others with the very same "condition" led me to share these things. I know that you're out there, but I don't know if you're reading this. I pray that you are, because I want to remind you that fear is ridiculous. It doesn't accomplish anything. Think about it. Really think about it. Can't you see it? We have nothing to fear, but fear itself and God has already conquered fear, freed us of it and He tells us repeatedly, over and over again, because He knows how scared we are and He wants us to trust Him, to take refuge in Him, to live the full life, to love as if we knew nothing of hurt and run without the fear of falling.

        "The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" ~Psalm 118:6



8 comments:

  1. Amen! I too am visited more often that I would care to admit by fear. But just as you said when I feed on the promises God has given us, written over and over again in the Bible I realize it is a lie I should not buy into. My favorite verse on it (currently) is 1 John 4:18-19 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. We love Him because He first loved us"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That verse has really helped me, too. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad I waited till today to read this. I needed all those verses this morning! I start exams this week and I start feeling like outside sources(professors) hold the power over me. This whole topic is something I have been struggling with recently. Fear/worry is partly my strongest motivator for me to work so I'm trying to understand the healthy & biblical balance. :/ I know control is scary b/c I know how weak I am. I've kinda decided some of my fear is b/c I start trusting in my own abilities, which only last so long. Kind of like Peter walking on water...we all know how that worked out for him! (Matthew 14:29) Anyway great reminder! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!!
    We know God's love cast out fear... but do we trust Him or do we act as orphans? I feel like my life has been a journey of learning to trust Him and releasing one by one my fears into His hands and I have found Him to be more faithful than I could have ever hoped or imagined.
    Currently reading a book, called From Fear to Freedom by Rose Marie Miller (wife of C. John Miller). Blessed to have insight and affirmation of what God has been doing and is doing in my life as He delivers me from the fears that drive me to want to control my circumstances or the people around me... I highly recommend it... Here's some more about the book...

    "Every once in a while a book comes along which distills and delivers the truths of the Bible with profound simplicity and disruptive integrity. From Fear to Freedom is just such a volume. Rose Marie writes as both a skilled teacher of the Scriptures and a living epistle of God's grace. Her book is a dangerous collection of insights into the liberating power of God's love. Like a Trojan Horse, this seemingly harmless grandmother offers stories calculated to bring freedom to prisoners (like me) of unbelief, legalism and self-pity. Read with care, but by all means read!"
    --Scotty Smith, Senior Pastor, Christ Community Church, Franklin, TN

    "From Fear to Freedom is a powerful and captivating book. This book is 'must' reading for those who want to live daily in the freedom and joy of God?s grace."
    -- Jerry Bridges, author of The Pursuit of Holiness and The Joy of Fearing God

    For all those who live in fear of never quite "measuring up," this honest account of one woman's spiritual crisis provides a new look at the transforming power of God's grace in the midst of weakness. Readers will be encouraged to relinquish the role of spiritual "orphan" and embrace a forgiving heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I am going to right now put a hold on that from the library. It sounds amazing! Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts :)

      Delete
  4. Alina, I know what you mean when you say you were afraid to even write the post because it would bring your fears to your mind. I've been (maybe still am) where you are. I'm so thankful for the authority figures in my life; they help me to think logically and work through my fears.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy :)